Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Epilogue: WONDERFUL TONIGHT, Part II

Noooo, I wouldn't be that mean!  A high pitched voice answered the phone after the first ring and she asked for Mike.

"This is he," the high, raspy voice answered.

"This is Debbie. I got your letter in the mail, I wrote back, and I just got my letter back in the mail today. The reporter in me just had to find out what was going on. I just couldn't wait around, wondering what happened. I just had to call."

"Debbie...that laugh sounds familiar...did you go to school in Essex?"

* * *

"Oh. Well, well, well...this is a treat. The cost of living is lower here. It's much easier to make ends meet. A bunch of guys get a house near the beach. There's the boardwalk. There's not much here but the military."

"Your voice sounds so different than I remember," she said.

"And the reporter in you had to find out," he repeated.

"I would be one if I could," she sighed. "You have a Southern accent. Slight southern accent," she added and he laughed softly.

"I've been here a long time. Well, well, well..."

Where did he get that from? She didn't remember him saying that in Lowell, that lovely night, four years ago, as he had held her in his arms in the cold of an April night, in the parking lot of Chevy's Belair Cafe, down by the river.

"Well, you can write to me..."

"I like to write. I just can't figure out the mail system. I sent you that card in November. You wrote me in July and I wrote back to you right away. I just got my letter back in the mail today."

He didn't seem overly perturbed. He didn't question the United States mail system.

"You can write to me...I have to get going. My little girl needs her bicycle fixed. You know how kids can keep you busy. This call is going to cost you a bundle."

Kids? "Wait. There's something I have to ask you. Are you married?"

"Well..."

"I mean, it's one thing, writing to someone you think is single, but..."

"Well, well, well. Talk about seven years bad luck."

"You have to tell me."

"Seven years. Two children."

Seven? But she had known him only four years ago. She hung on, in silent shock.

"Debbie," he said, after a moment's pause. "Keep your spirits up. You sound like a great girl."

"Thanks," she whispered and hung up.

All she could think of was that country song.

Cause and effect!
Chain of events!
All of this chaos
Makes perfect sense!

Welcome to Earth, third rock from the Sun!
Welcome to Earth, third rock from the Sun!