Thursday, December 30, 2010

EPILOGUE II

EPILOGUE II: WHERE I LIVED IN NYC

(1) TIMES SQUARE: 308 West 51st Street, 3rd Floor. Between Eighth and Ninth Avenues.

(2) EAST VILLAGE: Summer 1987.
200 East Ninth Street, 2nd Floor.
& First Avenue (about one block away from Alphabet City and Tompkins Square Park)

Note: I combined these first two settings into the fire-damaged prewar apartment building (1) and located it in the East Village (2), which was actually an "art deco" studio apartment above a 24-hour grocery store.

(3) UPPER EAST SIDE: Fall 1987- May 1988; 9 months.
200 East 94th Street, 14th Floor (but actually the 13th!) just below the penthouse rooftop patio and garden.
Third Avenue.

(4) WEST VILLAGE: Summer 1988.
400 Mercer Street; across from New York University; modern dance studio)

(5) ROCKAWAY BEACH (Far Rockaway): Fall 1988.
Belle Harbor, Queens (tip of Long Island), New York.

(6) FOREST HILLS, Queens
93-42 71st Drive.
Fall 1988-Fall 1990
2-story house between Forest Hills Gardens & Kew Gardens, off Metropolitan Avenue.

* The Surf Club was located on 415 East 91st Street, 10028. Still have an old matchbook cover! (Scrapbook) ("Get outta my dreams -- and into my car!")

* Third Avenue Bagels was located on 1642 Third Avenue, Corner of 92nd Street. Still have an old menu.(Scrapbook) (Is this Penthouse 14?)


Note: I condensed my sojourn into just two locations: for "Fool's Gold:" the East Village and the Upper East Side. After I moved from the Upper East Side, I actually did take my roommate's offer to move in with her parents on Rockaway Beach, taking the bus to work along Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn and taking it back home, via Queens and Gateway National Recreation Area.

Modus operandi: While living on the Upper East Side, I wrote almost every night after work in yellow legal sized notepads and pen. While living in Forest Hills, I would go into the office on the weekends to type my story on the WANG word processor and floppy diskettes. The original title was "All That Glitters," but a classmate at a publishing workshop here at the Groton Library suggested "Fool's Gold!"

"I think I'll keep her!"