Monday, October 18, 2010

INDIVIDUALITY: Wonderful Tonight, Conclusion

"Let's go outside," he said.

"He wants to see the River. I'll be right back. Don't worry, I won't leave," she told Liz.

"Have you ever been seduced by a sailor?" he smiled as they kissed.

"No!" she suddenly realized.

"You know what they say. One in every port?" he said slyly.

One in every port? He had joined the Navy at twenty, and had no intention of leaving it, she could tell.

"I joined it because I don't like to work," he said.

Don't like to work?

"Oh. Work is so hard. It's brutal," she said sadly, looking up at him.

He had left Boston for Virginia Beach where he would be stationed tomorrow. She thought of her job as a secretary in New York City; where he had never been.

"I love your perfume," he said.

"It's Coco Chanel. I can't believe my boss got it for me!" she cried. On every occasion, her demanding staff showered her with flowers, small presents, luncheons, and now, Secretaries' Week.

"Now I know what's waiting for me in New York," he said, as he nuzzled her with his kisses on her neck, her earlobe, her cheek, her hips. He kissed a little too hard and aggressively, but she loved his hands on her waist, her hips, her chest.

"We better stop," she said, his hands on her waist, beneath his black leather jacket he had given her to wear.

"I'm a nineties chick. There are things about me that you don't understand," she said as they walked across the parking lot to the lights of the bar.  He had no idea what she meant.

She stood in the entry, flustered. She could not face the bouncer, whom they had convinced to let them back in the bar.

"We're getting her coat," he had told the blond bouncer. She returned, wearing his leather jacket.

A slow song started to play. She recognized the familiar strains of "You Look Wonderful Tonight." She held onto his neck, then his collar as they danced. She leaned her head on his chest.

"I'll treasure this forever," he said, as she jotted her office and home numbers on a Chevy's matchbook.

"Even if I never see you again, I just want you to know I had a really good time," she said. He held her hand, looking sad.

0980D