Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GOING HOME

GOING HOME                                                              10/13/91

"You always go 'back home.'"  I realized what a miserable life I was leading. for the first time. I felt alive! I quit my job in New York 5 1/2 months later and plunked myself down in Boston.

I wanted to make a change. A new life. But was it?

A year later, I found myself back in New York. A weekend wedding in Manhattan. I knew in an instant. I had made the right decision. Was it the girl in sneakers and a suit, walking tired past the buildings of 42nd Street?

In recent months, I started to attend church more often. Searching, wondering, waiting for the answer! Trying to understand.

A sense of peace and unbelievable happiness has filled me since I made the decision to return home.

A clean feeling. Going back to where I belong, my roots, Sunday drives on winding country roads, the salt-kissed air of lonely New London harbor. A quiet early night's sleep, deep in the woods. Lots of trees, changing color in the fall, shaking their leaves in the breeze.