Monday, November 8, 2010

FATHER'S DAY III

"Sherri and I are in a fight. She left me here!" She screamed into the phone.

"I don't know! We were fighting all day, and they were holding hands..." Debbie answered her mother deliriously.

"Well, Debbie, I don't know how to get to Newport," he mother replied calmly. "Why don't you wait for Sherri. She's probably looking for you."

Her mother's calm voice ignited her.

"You better come get me or I will never speak to this family again! And you can pay for my train ticket or I'm not ever coming back!" she threatened.

And she hung up on her mother.

It started to rain and she wandered into the inviting restaurant across the street. "Cobblestones," the sign read.

She no sooner sat upon the high stool at the bar and the waiter approached her. He was of a good build, with strong shoulders, the kind that appealed to Debbie, and a big chest. He had curlyish dark hair and glasses. His eyes lit up when he saw her and her eyes widened at the sight of him. He had that sophisticated prep look that she liked.

"I got in a fight with my sister and she left me here by myself," she sputtered drunkenly.

"Well, you do have a few options," he said matter-of-factly.

But she put her hand to her forehead and shook her head, no.

"Pepsi," she told  him.

"Would you like another one?" he came back. She looked at him.

"OK," she said in surprise.

She lined her quarters up on the bar. How much money would a cab cost? She didn't have any money. Her sister had left her here without any money!

The handsome stranger wandered over and gave her a matchbook. "Here's a good cab service," he said.

"Cozy Cab," it said on the back of the Cobblestones matchbook.

"What's your name?" she said.

"Frank."

"I'm Debbie. Thanks," she said, and she reached over the bar and they shook hands.

Father's Day 1989
Denise Hickey
DOC 0710D

What really happened here, so long ago? What issue does Debbie have with her sister, the affable and consummate multi-tasker, Sherri? Who should Debbie really have slapped in the face? Why had Debbie been forced to tag along with her sister, chasing guys in Newport...on Father's Day weekend???...* * * :)  OIC.